BWCA Permits: Making Changes to Overnight BWCA Permits
To get an overnight paddle permit either you or a cooperator have to reserve the permit on recreation.gov. We are more than happy to reserve your permit for you and we can also issue it at our lodge. Many people do like to order their own BWCA permits.
If you order your own permit, it automatically goes to the Gunflint Ranger Station to issue if you do not select another issue station. You can go back into your permit and select a cooperator as an issue station. So, if you ordered your own permit and would like us to issue it when you arrive to stay or get your canoes, go ahead and change the issue station to Cooperator: Clearwater Canoe Outfitters.
BWCA Permits: What You Can Change Once It’s Reserved
You cannot change your entry date or your entry point on your permit without canceling it and reserving a new one if it is available. Below is a list of the changes you can make to your permit after you reserve it. You can…
1) change the issue station
2) change the exit date
3) change the exit point
4) change the number of watercraft
5) change the party size (changes in this category will adjust your credit card billing)
BWCA Permits: How To Make Changes
To make changes to your permit,
1) sign on to your account on recreation.gov
2) click ‘see details’ on your permit
3) click ‘update reservation’ in the upper right portion of the window
4) scroll down until you find the items you would like to change.
5) make and confirm your changes. Be sure to go to the bottom of the window and click the ‘confirm changes’ button. You will get a window that says ‘Changes Complete’
BWCA Permits: Who Can Make Changes
If you had us reserve your overnight permit for you we are the only ones who can make any changes to your permit. Although changes can be made at anytime between when you reserved your permit and when it is issued it can sometimes be easier to just wait and make the changes at the time it is issued. Our advice is to reserve the permit for 2 adults (which is the minimum) and adjust the final number of people on the trip and pay the difference upon arrival at either a ranger station or cooperator. Any other adjustments to trip length and exit point can be made at this time as well, and in the grand scheme of planning an overnight trip into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness waiting to adjust your permit until the day you enter can be one less thing to worry about.